social media done right

National Geographic should win a prize for their new twitter accounts. You may remember last week on April Fools when I posted that I had found a yeti. I posted the same pic on twitter saying:

I have found a yeti, just took some cotton candy to lure him out http://yfrog.com/h42d9aqj

About an hour later the Abominable Snowman replied! Think you've found me? Prove it! http://on.natgeo.com/ifk0Wz

The link goes to NatGeo's Expedition Week (a series that has run this week on their cable channel) which includes an episode on finding the Abominable Snowman. I love when social media gets it right, how entertaining to advertise your show by responding to tweets. I assume they have some sort of google bot looking for hooligans like me claiming to have found a yeti, but it is still hilarious. Sign me up for the job of playing a yeti on twitter! If you go to MrAbominable on twitter you can see he has replied to hundreds of people. I particularly love how each tweet is unique, not some mass tweet to anyone who mentions yeti/abominable snowman.

MrAbominable is just the beginning of the new twitter accounts from NatGeo, they're also behind: TheJackRipper, HungryCannibal, and TheGladiatorMan.
Hats off NatGeo, you gave me a good laugh while advertising a series that interests me :)